Saturday, April 8, 2017

Cover Page Completed!

          The one thing that was keeping me from finishing my cover page a long time ago was the fact that I didn't have a cover image. This was starting to stress me out, since it is probably the most important part of my entire magazine. So on Friday, I finally went out and took it. It didn't take nearly as long as I had thought it would, surprisingly. I guess I had picked the right day to take the picture, because the lighting outside didn't give me any problems. Below is the picture I have chosen to be my cover image:


          I initially started to cutout the background, but I started to think that maybe the cover page would look more interesting if I included the entire background. I decided that it did look much better, and decided to keep it exactly the same. The light spot at the top of the page would serve as a good place to put the masthead, which is another positive of keeping the background.

          Once I figured out the cover image, laying out the cover lines was easy. I already thought of all the titles and fonts, so all that was left to do was to arrange them in such a way that they all "surrounded" the girl.

          One small challenge that I faced was finding a font color that was a strong enough contrast with the background. Since the background is mostly a dark green, I needed to pick a light color in order for the text to show up well enough. After trying out tons of colors, from different shades of blue, white, yellow, and pink, I finally decided on making the cover lines white. They stood out the most and looked better than all of the other ones that I had tried. I made the text below the cover lines a teal color. I chose teal because it contrasted to the white cover lines but was still visible to read despite the background. Below is what the final cover page looks like:


          I'm really pleased with how it turned out, and I hope you are too!

No comments:

Post a Comment