Saturday, March 18, 2017

Coverlines and Layout Planning

          On Wednesday I began brainstorming ideas for cover lines that will be featured on my magazine. From what I learned in class, consumers love seeing numbers and lists in cover lines. This is probably due to the fact that they look more simplistic and attractive than cover lines that are longer and more wordy. Knowing this, I plan on incorporating these tactics into my own cover lines.

          I began looking online and through magazines I found at home to get some inspiration. I found this website to be helpful in giving me some ideas. All of the magazine cover pages listed on this website have a least one cover line with a number in it, further implicating that they are preferred by consumers. Below are some of the magazine covers featured on the website.
























          After doing research, I did a rough sketch of what the cover page of my magazine would look like. I have incorporated numbers as well as lists into the cover lines. I still have not decided what my magazine will be called, so I wrote "masthead" in place of the actual title for now. However, there are some characteristics of the cover page that I am almost certain will end up on the final product. Firstly, I want the masthead to be located across the top of the page. The font is going to be slightly slanted and wavy, all in capital letters. The main cover line will be right next to the main cover image, taking up the majority of the page. Additional cover lines will be located at the very bottom of the page in varying colors and font sizes. Below is the sketch I made of my cover page.



          Obviously everything I have drawn is still prone to change. Once I actually begin laying out my pages on the computer, I may come up with a design that is more visually engaging and interesting. I will let you know of any changes that occur once I begin the process of laying out everything next week. Until then, I must still come up with a rough draft of my table of contents and double page spread. These will be the topics that my next few posts will consist of. 



Citations/ Images 
Nikola. "55 Best Tips for a Successful Magazine Cover." Magazine Designing. N.p., 19 Apr. 2015. Web. 15 Mar. 2017.












No comments:

Post a Comment