Thursday, March 30, 2017

Table of Contents Updates

          I began to lay out my table of contents about a week ago, but I haven't posted much about my progress. So in this blog post, I would like to talk about that. The first thing I knew that I wanted to include in my table of contents was a section titled "always included" or "in every issue". I learned from class that this is characteristic of many successful magazine brands, especially those that are in the fashion and style genre. Since my magazine is this genre, I knew that it was necessary that I include this.
          I thought of about five different topics to put in this section. Coming up with these was actually somewhat challenging, because I had to make sure that they were all broad enough topics that could be present in every issue of an ongoing magazine. The ones that I came up with are: "Who wore it better?", "Q&A with the staff", "Homemade outfits", "What's trending", and "Share your story". After coming up with these names, I began figuring out where I wanted this section to go on my table of contents pages. I think I like it on the right hand side of the second page. That way it's not taking up the first page where all of the new and fresh stories will be located. Here is what the section looks like:



          I'm not sure if the text is going to be surrounded by that green circle in the final edit; I think that I can come up with a design more exciting than that. 

          I've also decided that I am going to group my articles together using different subheadings. I've come up with a few, including "Tips & Tricks" and "Celebrities". The majority of the articles will fit into one of those two topics. If necessary, I will add another subheading for a few articles that do not go under the two subheadings previously listed. 

          As i've mentioned before, I will be adding short descriptions of each article under their respective titles on the table of contents. I've done this for all of the articles listed under "Tips & Tricks" already. I don't think adding these descriptions is necessary for the "In Every Issue" section, as the content of these articles varies with every issue, and they are self-explanatory anyway. 






No comments:

Post a Comment